Treats viral infections.
Skip Upsides & Downsides section. Skip to side effects section.
Our bottom line
Zovirax (Acyclovir) is good for treating viral infections like herpes, chickenpox, and shingles. It won't cure the disease, but it'll shorten the length of a breakout.
Coupons and discounts
- (60) 400mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 400mg tablets of Zovirax (Acyclovir) at pharmacies
- $47.21New price:$15.58Save:67%
- Kroger Pharmacy$29.24New price:$16.08Save:45%
- $37.79New price:$18.14Save:52%
- Used as a first-choice treatment for herpes, chickenpox, and shingles infections and breakouts.
- Most people (including pregnant women) usually take the oral medication without experiencing any side effects.
- Available as a generic, so it's relatively cheap.
- Most people generally don't develop a resistance to Zovirax (Acyclovir).
- Works well for most people to shorten the duration of outbreaks.
- Zovirax (Acyclovir) is not a cure for herpes, chickenpox, or shingles. It will only shorten the time you have a breakout.
- If you're taking Zovirax (Acyclovir) for herpes, you should use barrier methods (condoms) when you're having sex since you can still pass it on to other people, even if you're taking the medication and you're not in a breakout.
- You need to take this up to five times a day, so it can be inconvenient.
Skip side effects section. Skip to What to Expect and Pharmacists Tips section.
Side effect rates for Zovirax (Acyclovir)
993 From clinical trials of Zovirax / Chickenpox
Risks and Warnings for Zovirax (Acyclovir)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
There have been reports of people on Zovirax (Acyclovir) who have had serious kidney damage. This is very rare. You'll want to drink plenty of fluids while you're on Zovirax (Acyclovir).
Common concerns from people taking Zovirax (Acyclovir)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
Kidneys and liver
- There have been reports of people on Zovirax (Acyclovir) who have had serious kidney damage. This is very rare. You'll want to drink plenty of fluids while you're on Zovirax (Acyclovir).