Zytiga (Abiraterone) is an effective, first-line option for a certain type of prostate cancer, but it has many drug interactions and may be expensive.
- In studies, people with a certain type of prostate cancer taking Zytiga (Abiraterone) lived longer by about 4 months and the cancer didn't worsen by about 2 months.
- In studies, people with a certain type of prostate cancer taking Zytiga (Abiraterone) delayed starting chemotherapy by about 8 months.
- Treats metastatic, castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC).
- Zytiga (Abiraterone) is an oral tablet that's taken once a day.
- Not the best choice if you have heart or liver problems.
- Zytiga (Abiraterone) can cause liver damage. You'll need routine blood tests to check your liver function.
- There are many drug interactions.
- There's no generic available and it can be very expensive.
- Metastatic prostate cancer
- Stage D2
- In combination with a luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) analog
- High ALT42%
- High AST37%
- Joint swelling/discomfort30%
- Worsening liver function
Current liver problems
- High blood pressure
History of high blood pressure
- Adrenal suppression
...and 2 more risk factors
- Mineralocorticoid (steroid hormone) excess
History of cardiovascular disease
- Harm to fetus
Women of childbearing age