Permanent surgical procedure for men to prevent fertility.7Male Sterilization
Skip Upsides & Downsides section. Skip to side effects section.
Our bottom line
Invasive or non-invasive sterlization is a one-and-done procedure to stop reproductive function of a man's body. It's highly effective and irreversible.
What’s the failure rate?
of people using this method got pregnant in a year
This method is ranked 3 out of 17 birth control methods listed. The lower the number, the better.SourceMore birth control methods
- Get the procedure once and never worry about getting someone pregnant again.
- No hormones or chemicals going into your body.
- All the spontaneous sex you want.
- It's not always effective right away, as there will be leftover sperm in the vas deferens (sperm tubes) – backup contraception should be used for up to 16 weeks.
- Irreversible, so you have to be sure you don't want biological children in the future.
- There's always a risk of complications with surgery and anesthesia.
- Doesn't protect you from STDs