Compare Abilify vs. chlorpromazine
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps control your thoughts and mood.
Abilify (aripiprazole) is good for treating psychosis and mania, and can help with depression. It's less likely to cause side effects than other antipsychotics.
3.2/ 5 average rating with 252 reviewsforAbilify
Stabilizes your mood.
Thorazine (chlorpromazine) has more side effects than other medicines like it. It is most useful during psychotic episodes because it slows you down quickly.
- Effective at relieving psychotic symptoms and manic episodes.
- More energizing than other antipsychotics.
- Fewer side effects than other antipsychotics.
- Studies show that it can also be helpful for depression, especially in women, if your symptoms don't go away with an antidepressant alone.
- Available as a generic, which is cheaper.
- Acts fast to slow you down during a psychotic episode.
- Can also be used for nausea or migraines.
- Safe for use in children as young as 6 months.
- Comes in a sugar-coated pill for easy administration.
- Mild risk of extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS), a movement disorder that includes stiffness, tremor, restlessness, and slow, repetitive, or involuntary movements.
- You might need routine blood tests to check how the medicine is affecting your body.
- All antipsychotics come with side effects that make them difficult to take. You might need to try a few different medicines until you find the one that works for you and that you can tolerate.
- Has more side effects than other medicines like it.
- Can affect how your other medicines work.
- Makes you more sensitive to the sun.
- Can make you dizzy or lightheaded, especially when injected.
- Cannot be stopped right away.
- Bipolar I disorder
- Autistic disorder irritability
- Tourette syndrome
- Acute intermittent porphyria
- Preoperative anxiety
- Bipolar disorder
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe behavioral problems
- Dissolving tablet
$3024.33Find instant savings near you
$26.20Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
252 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Abilify (aripiprazole)?Leave a review
Not enough review data.Leave a review
4possible side effects
- Difficulty controlling movements5%
The Thorazine (chlorpromazine) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Increased risk of death
- Elderly patients with dementia
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Age 24 years or younger
- Use of antidepressant medications
- Shaking and restlessness
- Increased blood sugar and cholesterol, and weight gain
- People with diabetes
- People with high cholesterol
- Driving impairment
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- Low blood pressure
- Increased risk of death
- People over 65 with dementia and psychosis
- Difficulty controlling movements
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Taking antipsychotic medications
- Breathing problems
- Acute respiratory infections
- Heat stroke and dehydration
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)
- Urinary retention
- Decreased movement in the intestines