Compare Aciphex vs. Zantac
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats heartburn and ulcers.
Aciphex (rabeprazole) is good for treating heartburn and ulcers, but should not be used long-term.
Relieves heartburn and stomach ulcers.
Zantac 75 (ranitidine) is an effective and inexpensive medicine for hearburn with few side effects, but may interfere with other drugs.
3.7/ 5 average rating with 1062 reviewsforZantac
- Aciphex (rabeprazole) works better than over-the-counter medications that have not relieved your acid reflux.
- The delayed-release pill provides relief over 24 hours.
- Aciphex (rabeprazole) can be taken with or without food.
- The capsule can be safely used by children as young as 1 year old.
- Zantac 75 (ranitidine) works well to relieve heartburn symtoms and is quite tolerable.
- You can take it in combination with a quick-acting antacid (like Maalox or Tums) if you need relief right away.
- If you have trouble swallowing pills you may find the liquid product a good option.
- Inexpensive with over-the-counter and generic options.
- Coupons are available for the brand product - speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Using Aciphex (rabeprazole) for a long time can can weaken your bones or increase your risk for infectious diarrhea.
- Lowers magnesium and vitamin B12 in your body so you may need to take supplements.
- Aciphex (rabeprazole) interferes with how many medications work.
- Zantac 75 (ranitidine) doesn't work as quickly as some other acid reducers. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you need quicker relief.
- Zantac 75 (ranitidine) does not last as long as some other acid reducers. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you need longer relief.
- May not be as effective in healing the esophagus when it is inflammed or torn, known as erosive esophagitis. Your doctor will assess which medication is best for you.
- Can lower your vitamin B12 levels if you use Zantac 75 (ranitidine) for a long time. Your doctor can order lab tests to monitor your vitamin B12 levels.
- Acid Reflux
- Stomach ulcers
- Delayed release pill
- Oral solution
- Oral syrup
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
Not enough review data.Leave a review
5possible side effects
- Abdominal pain4%
The Zantac 75 (ranitidine) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Stomach cancer
- Kidney inflammation
- Severe diarrhea
- Being hospitalized
- Antibiotic use
- Bone fractures
- High dose Aciphex (rabeprazole)
- Taking Aciphex (rabeprazole) for longer than one year
- Low bone mineral density
- Age 50 years or older
- Taking steroids or anti-seizure medicines
- Low levels of magnesium and vitamin B12
- Aged 60 years or older
- Kidney conditions
- Liver conditions
- Drug interactions
- Acute porphyria
- Acute Porphyria
- Chronic lung problems
- Lung problems