Compare Albenza vs. ivermectin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats infections caused by worms and parasites.
Albenza (albendazole) is effective for treating tapeworm infections, but may cause serious liver, blood, and eye problems.
Treats infections caused by stomach worms and other parasites.
Stromectol (ivermectin) is an antiparasitic, which you usually only need to take once to get rid of your infection.
- Very effective drug to treat infections caused by worms and other parasites.
- Oral chewable tablets are available for children or people with swallowing difficulties.
- Usually, you only need to take Stromectol (ivermectin) once to get rid of your infection.
- Stromectol (ivermectin) is available as a generic.
- Most people who take this medication don't have side effects.
- A negative pregnancy test may be required prior to taking Albenza (albendazole).
- This drug may cause harm to an unborn baby.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- You may bleed easily while taking Albenza (albendazole).
- Using this medicine may increase your risk of side effects involving the eye when used to treat tapeworm infection in the brain.
- For treating stomach worms, you will need to do stool and blood tests after taking Stromectol (ivermectin) to see if you have gotten rid of the infection.
- For treating a very rare type of parasitic eye infection, you will need to see your doctor again after taking Stromectol (ivermectin), and you might need to take the medication more times.
- If you take warfarin, your doctor might need to do more blood tests while you take this medicine.
- Tapeworms in the brain
- Parasitic infections
- Parasitic infection
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
5possible side effects
- Elevated liver tests16%
- Abdominal pain6%
- Reversible hair loss2%
7possible side effects
- Itchy skin28%
- Swelling and rash23%
- Swollen lymph nodes11%
- Joint pain9%
- Fast heart rate4%
- Swelling of arms and/or legs3%
Risks and risk factors
- Decrease in production of cells present in the blood (bone marrow suppression)
- Fetal harm
- Central nervous system symptoms
- Eye damage
- Abnormal liver function tests
- High liver function tests
- Severe allergic reaction
- Treatment of parasitic eye infection