Compare Aloxi vs. Sancuso
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Aloxi (palonosetron) is given one time to effectively reduce nausea from chemotherapy or surgery. In some cases, it will only help for a short period of time.
Sancuso (granisetron) is a good choice to reduce nausea and vomiting if it's hard for you to take oral medicines, but is very expensive.
- Aloxi (palonosetron) can be given through the same IV line as your chemotherapy - as a one-time dose 30 minutes before treatment starts.
- Starts working in 30 minutes.
- Aloxi (palonosetron) can be used in children as young as 1 month of age.
- Each Sancuso (granisetron) patch provides around-the-clock relief from nausea and vomiting for up to 7 days without having to re-dose and without problems associated with missing a dose.
- May be a better option for some people on multi-day chemotherapy regimens.
- If your chemotherapy is very likely to make you feel queasy or if you have nausea after surgery, Aloxi (palonosetron) is usually only helpful for one day.
- Can only be used to prevent nausea and vomiting, not to treat if it's already happening.
- Must be applied at least 24 hours before the scheduled chemotherapy.
- Sancuso (granisetron) has the possibility of interacting with antidepressants that can result in a dangerous build up of serotonin.
- Must restrict from certain activites such as swimming and strenous excerise while wearing Sancuso (granisetron).
- Should be used with caution in people with any heart condition.
- Nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy or surgery
- Abnormal heartbeat5%
- Slow heart rate4%
- Serotonin syndrome
- Taking antidepressants, lithium, some migraine medications, and St. John's wort.
- Severe allergic reaction
- Rare serious drug interaction
- Taking other medicines that affect serotonin levels such as tramadol and anti-depressants
- Heart disease
- Masking of intestinal blockage and stomach bloating
- Skin reactions
- Heat exposure
- Exposure to heat
- Sun exposure
- Exposure to sun