Compare amoxapine vs. Doxepin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Stabilizes your mood.
While Asendin (amoxapine) can treat depression, you have to take it several times a day and it can make you feel sleepy.
Helps you stop itching.
Zonalon (Doxepin) works well treating itchy skin, but could make you sleepy.
- Asendin (amoxapine) can be used to treat more severe forms of depression.
- Compared to similar medicines, Asendin (amoxapine) improves the mood in depression more quickly.
- Asendin (amoxapine) is available as generic.
- In clinical trials, Zonalon (Doxepin) was found to be the most effective cream for treating itchy skin.
- You can use Zonalon (Doxepin) for up to 8 days at a time.
- Asendin (amoxapine) is not a first choice medicine for depression because of side effects.
- In some people, Asendin (amoxapine) can stop working as early as 2-3 months after you start taking it.
- Not recommended in older people, children under 16, or people who've had a history of seizures.
- You need a prescription for Zonalon (Doxepin).
- It isn't available as a generic, so it could be kind of pricey.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can make you sleepy.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can interact with other medications, vitamins, or alternative treatments.
- Skin intching (moderate)
- Cream, gel, or ointment
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
4possible side effects
- Drowsiness or fatigue14%
- Dry mouth14%
- Vision changes7%
The Zonalon (Doxepin) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Increased risk of suicide
- People under age 24
- Vision changes
- Difficulty controlling movements
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Taking antidepressants
- Slowed breathing
- Taking opioids for pain relief or medicines for anxiety
- Anticholinergic effects/Dehydration
- Over age 65