Compare Androgel vs. Testim
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Androgel (testosterone) is a convenient topical form of testosterone hormone replacement for males, but you should be careful that the gel doesn't rub off on others.
This testosterone gel comes in convenient daily doses, but you have to be careful about skin-to-skin contact with other people.
- Androgel (testosterone) is an effective medication for treating low testosterone levels.
- You put it on like a lotion, so it's very easy to apply.
- It is available as a cheaper, generic form.
- Androgel (testosterone) does not need to be dose adjusted if you have liver or kidney problems.
- You apply it to your shoulders and upper arms like a lotion, so it's easy to use.
- Available in individual daily doses, so it's more convenient than some alternatives.
- You have to make sure that you cover the area where you place Androgel (testosterone) after it's dry, otherwise it can rub off on people.
- You have to wait at least 2 hours before you shower or swim after putting on Androgel (testosterone), otherwise your body won't absorb the entire amount.
- Not available in generic form, so it can be more expensive.
- You have to let the skin dry after you've put on testosterone gel, and you have to wear clothes over the area to prevent the medication from spreading onto other people.
- You have to wait at least 2 hours after applying testosterone gel before you can swim or bathe, otherwise your body won't absorb the full amount of the medication.
- Metastatic breast cancer
- Delayed puberty
- Low testosterone
- Male osteoporosis
- Weight gain
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Increased PSA levels11%
- Emotional lability3%
- High blood pressure2%
- Increased hematocrit or hemoglobin2%
- Skin reactions2%
- Exposing others to Androgel (testosterone)
- Blood clots
- Swelling in the legs
- Heart disease
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Elevated red blood cell count
- High calcium in the blood
- History of cancer
- Exposure to fire or flames