Compare Antara vs. Vytorin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides.
Antara (fenofibrate) is effective at lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels, but may cause liver problems and muscle pain.
2.5/ 5 average rating with 56 reviewsforAntara
Vytorin is expensive and is no more effective than simvastatin by itself.
3.3/ 5 average rating with 99 reviewsforVytorin
- Antara (fenofibrate) can reduce triglycerides by about 20-50%.
- Although not as effective at lowering triglycerides, Antara (fenofibrate) can lower "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and raise "good" cholesterol (HDL).
- There is a less expensive generic version available.
- You only need to take it once a day, with or without food.
- A 2-in-1 cholesterol-lowering combination medicine.
- Lowers "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and raises "good" cholesterol (HDL) in people who have trouble doing this through diet and exercise.
- Not as effective as statins in lowering cholesterol levels. You shouldn't take Antara (fenofibrate) by itself to lower cholesterol.
- Drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly while taking Antara (fenofibrate) can increase your risk of liver damage.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of gallbladder, liver or kidney disease. Antara (fenofibrate) might not be the best choice to lower your triglyceride levels.
- Antara (fenofibrate) can interact with other medications such as warfarin, colchicine, and sulfonylureas.
- Antara (fenofibrate) was not shown to reduce rates of death in people with type 2 diabetes.
- In clinical studies, simvastatin/ezetimibe hasn't controlled cholesterol better than simvastatin alone.
- There's no generic available, so it can be expensive.
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
56 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Antara (fenofibrate)?Leave a review
11possible side effects
- Abnormal liver function tests8%
- Respiratory disorder6%
- Stomach pain5%
- Back pain3%
- Increased AST3%
- Increased ALT3%
- Increased creatine phosphokinase3%
- Hay fever2%
8possible side effects
- Any side effect5%
- Increased ALT4%
- Upper respiratory tract infection4%
- Pain in extremity2%
Risks and risk factors
- Muscle pain
- Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with statins
- Elderly patients
- Patients with diabetes
- Patients with a history of renal failure.
- Liver damage
- History of liver disease
- History of gallstones
- Increased bleeding risk
- Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with anticoagulants
- Inflammation of pancreas
- Changes in blood tests
- Muscle pain
- Asian patients taking high-dose niacin
- Liver damage
- Past history of liver disease
- heavy alcohol use
- High blood sugar
- Increased risk for colds and flu
- Skin reactions
- Harm to fetus