Compare Anzemet vs. Aloxi
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps prevent nausea and vomiting
Anzemet (dolasetron) prevents nausea and vomiting and does not have many side effects.
Stops nausea caused by chemotherapy or surgery.
Aloxi (palonosetron) is given one time to effectively reduce nausea from chemotherapy or surgery. In some cases, it will only help for a short period of time.
- Reduced nausea and vomiting in people receiving chemotherapy.
- Well-tolerated with mild headache as the most common side effect.
- Requires only 1 dose prior to chemotherapy and once daily dosing after chemotherapy if needed for delayed nausea/vomiting.
- Aloxi (palonosetron) can be given through the same IV line as your chemotherapy - as a one-time dose 30 minutes before treatment starts.
- Starts working in 30 minutes.
- Aloxi (palonosetron) can be used in children as young as 1 month of age.
- Anzemet (dolasetron) doesn't treat nausea and vomiting that's already happening. It only works to prevent future episodes.
- High doses of Anzemet (dolasetron) can cause problems with heart rhythm.
- Can be expensive since a generic version is not available.
- If your chemotherapy is very likely to make you feel queasy or if you have nausea after surgery, Aloxi (palonosetron) is usually only helpful for one day.
- Can only be used to prevent nausea and vomiting, not to treat if it's already happening.
- Nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy or surgery
No pricing information available
$24.98Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
9possible side effects
- Decreased heart rate4%
- Increased heart rate3%
4possible side effects
- Abnormal heartbeat5%
- Slow heart rate4%
Risks and risk factors
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- History of heart rhythms such as long QT syndrome or atrial fibrillation
- Heart failure
- Taking other medications that can affect heart rhythms
- Low potassium or magnesium levels
- Advanced age
- Serotonin syndrome
- Taking other medicines that affect serotonin levels such as tramadol and anti-depressants
- Serotonin syndrome
- Taking antidepressants, lithium, some migraine medications, and St. John's wort.
- Severe allergic reaction