Compare Anzemet vs. Reglan
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps prevent nausea and vomiting
Anzemet (dolasetron) prevents nausea and vomiting and does not have many side effects.
Relieves nausea and vomiting.
Reglan (metoclopramide) can stimulate your gut and relieve nausea, but it can only be used for a short period of time due to avoid serious side-effects.
- Reduced nausea and vomiting in people receiving chemotherapy.
- Well-tolerated with mild headache as the most common side effect.
- Requires only 1 dose prior to chemotherapy and once daily dosing after chemotherapy if needed for delayed nausea/vomiting.
- Especially useful for relieving nausea caused by cancer chemotherapy.
- Available in an affordable, generic version
- If tablets are hard for you to swallow, Reglan (metoclopramide) is also available in as an orally disintegrating tablet or liquid form.
- Anzemet (dolasetron) doesn't treat nausea and vomiting that's already happening. It only works to prevent future episodes.
- High doses of Anzemet (dolasetron) can cause problems with heart rhythm.
- Can be expensive since a generic version is not available.
- Use for more than 12 weeks can cause involuntary movements of the eyes, tongue, face, arm, or legs.
- May take a while to relieve nausea and vomiting caused by delayed gastric emptying.
- Not a good option if you have Parkinson's disease, history of seizures, or blockage in your gut.
- You may need a lower dose if you have kidney problems.
- Diabetic gastroparesis
- Gastroesophegeal reflux
- Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy
- Prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting
- Radiological exam
- Small bowel intubation
- Gastric bezoars
- Acute migraine
- Treatment of nausea and vomiting in advanced cancer
- Prevention of radiation therapy-induced nausea and vomiting
- Dissolving tablet
No pricing information available
$4.00Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
9possible side effects
- Decreased heart rate4%
- Increased heart rate3%
4possible side effects
- Lack of energy10%
Risks and risk factors
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- History of heart rhythms such as long QT syndrome or atrial fibrillation
- Heart failure
- Taking other medications that can affect heart rhythms
- Low potassium or magnesium levels
- Advanced age
- Serotonin syndrome
- Taking other medicines that affect serotonin levels such as tramadol and anti-depressants
- Late, irreversible, involuntary movements (tardive dyskinesia)
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Early, reversible involuntary movements (extrapyramidal side-effects)
- Younger than 30 years old
- High doses of Reglan (metoclopramide)
- Children and teens