Compare baclofen vs. Soma
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Lioresal (baclofen) is a first choice treatment for muscle spasticity caused by multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injuries, but it's not recommended for other types of muscle spasms.
Soma (carisoprodol) is used for muscle spasms and muscle pain but it's not considered a first-choice treatment and not meant for long-term therapy.
- A better option for seniors compared to other muscle relaxants since it has fewer side effects than other similar medicines.
- Lioresal (baclofen) is available as a generic and is a relatively inexpensive medication.
- Patients treated with Soma (carisoprodol) experienced improvement in function.
- Available in generic.
- Available in two different strengths.
- Except for specific muscle spasms caused by brain injury or multiple sclerosis, Lioresal (baclofen) is not a recommended medicine.
- If you've been taking Lioresal (baclofen) regularly for a long time, you'll need to get off of it slowly.
- Lioresal (baclofen) can make you sleepy.
- If you've had a stroke, Lioresal (baclofen) may not work as well, and you're more likely to experience side effects.
- Not first choice for treating muscle spasms or muscle pain, because it can cause dependence.
- Can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Not meant for long-term therapy, because it hasn't been shown to be effective after taking it for a short period.
- Can cause withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it suddenly.
Have you used Lioresal (baclofen)?Leave a review
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Stopping Lioresal (baclofen) too quickly
- Driving impairment
- Taking with alcohol
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- Age 65 or greater
- Higher dose
- Using other medicines that can cause seizures
- History of seizures
- Eating disorders
- Brain infections
- Sleepiness and dizziness
- Taking other medications that also cause sleepiness
- Recreational drug use
- Excessive alcohol use
- Abuse, dependence and withdrawal
- Prior history of drug abuse
- Taking Soma (carisoprodol) for a long time
- Prior history of overdoses of drugs of abuse, recreational drugs, or alcohol