Compare Bactrim vs. Avelox
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. However, you can be more likely to sunburn.
3.6/ 5 average rating with 473 reviewsforBactrim
Treats bacterial infections.
Avelox (moxifloxacin) effectively treats different types of bacterial infections, but is more expensive than its alternatives.
- Widely available as a generic product and in a variety of formulations (tablet, capsule, suspension).
- Works well to treat many types of bacterial infections
- Available as a generic medicine.
- Treats a variety of bacterial infections.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- Might be a good treatment option for people with kidney problems.
- Needs to be taken only once a day.
- Makes you sensitive to the sun.
- Can upset your stomach
- Drink plenty of water or fluids to avoid harming your kidneys
- May cause birth defects
- People with diabetes need to check their blood sugar levels regularly while taking Avelox (moxifloxacin).
- Cannot be taken at the same time as antacids or vitamins.
- Avelox (moxifloxacin) can increase your skin's sensitivity to sunlight and make you more likely to get a rash.
- Relatively more expensive compared to similar alternatives.
- Urinary tract infection
- Traveler's diarrhea
- Inner ear infection
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pneumonia in HIV
- Pneumonia prevention in HIV
- Uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
- Prevention of urinary tract infections
- Treatment and prevention of opportunistic infections in HIV/AIDs patients
- Treatment and prevention of opportunistic infections in transplant patients
- Acute bacterial sinusitis
- Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis
- Community acquired pneumonia
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Abdominal infections
- Bacterial meningitis
- Diabetic foot infections
- Bite wounds
$8.10Find instant savings near you
$19.10Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
473 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim)?Leave a review
Not enough review data.Leave a review
The Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
8possible side effects
- Stomach pain2%
Risks and risk factors
- Harm to fetus
- Lower kidney function
- Taking other medicines that lower kidney function
- Tendon rupture and inflammation
- People over age 60
- Taking steroid medicine
- Those with kidney, heart, or lung transplants
- Myasthenia gravis
- Those with a history of myasthenia gravis
- Nerve damage
- Changes in mood and behavior
- Effects on heartbeat
- Those with a history of heart rhythm problems
- Taking other medicines that also affect your heart rhythm
- Those with liver problems