Compare Belsomra vs. Silenor
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps you sleep.
Belsomra (suvorexant) helps you fall asleep, but is only avaliable as a brand name so can be expensive.
Helps you relax, and sleep.
Doxepin is a non-addictive way to help people stay asleep, but it comes with a list of side effects.
- May be helpful if other sleep aids don't work.
- Works quickly, especially on an empty stomach.
- Might be a good option for the elderly.
- In a clinical trial Doxepin was able to significantly improve sleep quality.
- Doxepin helps improve your appetite, energy level, and sense of well-being, which increases your interests.
- Once your body gets used to Doxepin, most of the side effects go away.
- Doxepin comes in a generic form, so it is pretty cheap.
- Doxepin is not addictive.
- Not usually used for long-term treatment since it can be habit-forming.
- Belsomra (suvorexant) is likely expensive since it's only available as a brand name, but coupon savings program could be available.
- Not recommended if you do not plan to sleep for at least 7 hours.
- Belsomra (suvorexant) may cause sleep paralysis.
- Some people taking Doxepin walk, drive, eat, and have sex while sleeping. Be sure to tell your doctor if this happens to you.
- Doxepin can increase your appetite, leading to weight gain.
- Taking Doxepin can make emptying your bladder difficult.
- Some people have suicidal thoughts when taking Doxepin.
- Doxepin can interact with many different medications, vitamins, and alternative treatments.
- Alcoholism - Anxiety - Depression Anxiety - Depression Anxiety - Depression - Psychoneurotic personality disorder Insomnia Pruritus (Moderate)
- Due to atopic dermatitis or lichen simplex chronicus
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
8possible side effects
- Dry mouth2%
- Cold and flu2%
- Abnormal dreams2%
The Silenor (Doxepin) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Changes in thoughts
- Uncontrolled psychiatric conditions
- Other medicines that make you sleepy or dizzy
- Hangover effect
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- Less than 7 hours of sleep after taking Belsomra (suvorexant)
- Dependence and withdrawal
- Continuous use for 2 weeks or more
- Risk increases with dose
- Past history of depression
- Difficulty breathing
- Sleep apnea
- Sleep paralysis
No information currently available