Compare carbidopa vs. carbidopa / levodopa extended release
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats Parkinson's disease when given with levodopa.
Lodosyn (carbidopa) enhances the effect of levodopa. It cannot relieve symptoms of Parkinson's disease when taken by itself.
Treats Parkinson's disease.
Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa extended release) is the first choice treatment for Parkinson's disease.
- Extra doses of Lodosyn (carbidopa) allows you to get more out of levodopa, especially in later stages of the disease.
- It is available in a combination pill with levodopa once you find the right dose that works for you.
- Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa extended release) is released over a long period of time in your body and can allow you to take fewer pills less frequently.
- Your doctor may need to change the dose of Lodosyn (carbidopa) frequently before finding the right dose.
- Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa extended release) can make you very sleepy. Don't drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how your body reacts to it.
- Your saliva, sweat and urine may have dark color and stain your clothing while taking Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa extended release).
- Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa extended release) will lose its effect over time. If you notice it wearing off sooner than you'd like, talk to your doctor.
- Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa extended release) may cause unusual cravings in some people.
- Extended release
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
The Lodosyn (carbidopa) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
15possible side effects
- Difficulty controlling movements17%
- Urinary tract infection2%
- Unusual dreams2%
- Muscle spasms2%
- Upper respiratory infection2%
- Shortness of breath2%
- Periods of immobility2%
- Back pain2%
Risks and risk factors
- Take with levodopa
- Falling asleep during the day
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's
- High fever and confusion
- Stopping Sinemet CR (carbidopa / levodopa extended release) suddenly
- Changes in behavior
- Lack of impulse control
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's disease
- Changes in blood pressure and falls