Compare chlorzoxazone vs. Zanaflex
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Relieves muscle pain caused by spasms.
While Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) can be used to treat muscle pain, it can have bad side effects.
Relaxes your muscles.
Zanaflex (tizanidine) isn't a first-choice treatment for muscle spasticity. Try other options before using this.
4.3/ 5 average rating with 26 reviewsforZanaflex
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) works just as well as other medicines used for muscle pain caused by spasms.
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) is available in generic.
- Relieves muscle spasticity.
- Available as a generic.
- Available in a tablet or capsule form. It also comes in a capsule that can be opened and sprinkled in applesauce for people that can't swallow pills.
- For muscle pain such as back or neck pain, anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen or naproxen are preferred over Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone).
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) is not recommended if you're over 65 because it can make you more sleepy and more likely to break your bones.
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) works best with physical therapy and rest.
- This isn't a first-choice muscle relaxing medication. Other drugs work better and have fewer side effects.
- Takes over an hour to kick in and only lasts 3 to 6 hours.
- Zanaflex (tizanidine) can lower blood pressure, so be careful if you are already on a blood pressure medication.
- Need to be consistent every day in taking this with or without food.
- Elderly individuals have more side effects when taking Zanaflex (tizanidine).
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
Not enough review data.Leave a review
The Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
17possible side effects
- Dry mouth49%
- Urinary tract infection10%
- General infection6%
- Liver test abnormality6%
- Speech disorder3%
- Blurred vision3%
- Urinary frequency3%
- Flu syndrome3%
- Involuntary muscle movement3%
- Sore throat3%
- Hay fever3%
Risks and risk factors
- Liver damage
- Taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) with Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone)
- Central nervous system depression
- Taking narcotics, tranquilizers or antihistamines
- Skin rashes
- Allergies to muscle relaxants
- Liver damage
- Taking maximum doses of Zanaflex (tizanidine)
- Dizziness and low blood pressure
- Age 65 years or older
- Currently on blood pressure control medications
- Sleepiness and driving impairment
- Taking other medications that also cause sleepiness
- Recreational drug use
- Excessive alcohol use
- Withdrawal side effects
- Stopping Zanaflex (tizanidine) suddenly