Compare ciclopirox vs. Ketoconazole
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Loprox (ciclopirox) is a cheap, effective treatment for fungal infections that have not penetrated past the skin, but requires daily application for weeks to months to see an improvement.
Nizoral (Ketoconazole) is a medication used on your skin to treat fungal infections; however, it takes several weeks for full recovery, and the directions are specific to each type of medication.
- Has few side effects compared to oral anti-fungal medications.
- Easy to use and can be applied directly on the infected areas of the skin.
- Safe to use for even people who have liver or kidney disease.
- Available in cheap, generic version.
- Recommended as a first choice medication to treat skin infections caused by fungi, including cradle cap, seborrheic dermatitis, and tinea versicolor.
- Nizoral (Ketoconazole) isn't taken orally, so it doesn't cause liver issues.
- Can be used with other medications to help control redness and swelling.
- The 1% shampoo is available over-the-counter in the drugstore.
- You might need to use Loprox (ciclopirox) for many months to treat your condition.
- In cases where Loprox (ciclopirox) is used on nails, you might need to remove the medication with alcohol every 7 days.
- Not the best treatment option for severe and complicated fungal infections.
- The foams (Extina and Ketodan) and gel (Xolegel) are only available as brand name and can be more expensive.
- The 2.5% shampoo and creams are available only by prescription, but are generic.
- The shampoo has to be left on for at least 5-10 minutes after lathering before you rinse it off.
- It can take a few weeks for the infection to clear and a few months before the skin returns to its normal color.
- The fungal infections can be confused for other skin infections, so if Nizoral (Ketoconazole) doesn't work, it could be caused by another skin problem.
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Any side effect5%
- For external use only
- Allergic reactions
- Severe allergic reactions