Compare Cleocin vs. Minocycline
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Cleocin T (Clindamycin Phosphate) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. If you're taking the vaginal form, you have to avoid sex and tampons for the period your doctor tells you to. The topical form can cause skin sensitivity and irritation.
Solodyn (Minocycline) is an effective way to treat certain skin infections, acne, and rosacea, but you'll need to use barrier methods of birth control since it can make birth control pills less effective and cause birth defects.
- Available in generic.
- Topical form treats acne.
- Available in different oral forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Available in forms to treat skin infections and vaginal infections.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- Clinical studies show it's effective against MRSA, a common skin infection, and it's commonly used to treat acne and rosacea.
- Available as a generic, so it should be reasonably priced.
- Solodyn (Minocycline) is less likely to cause sunburn than other tetracycline antibiotics.
- Bacteria are less likely to become resistant to Solodyn (Minocycline) than other tetracycline antibiotics.
- Have to take the oral forms with a full glass of liquid or with food since it can cause irritation in your stomach and esophagus.
- If you're taking the vaginal form, you have to avoid sex and not use tampons for the period your doctor tells you to.
- If you're allergic to aspirin, your doctor may have to prescribe an alternate.
- If you have to take live vaccines, talk to your doctor when to take them since Clindamycin can make it less effective.
- If you're taking the topical form, it can cause sensitivity and irritation.
- It can make birth control pills less effective, so people should use barrier methods of birth control like condoms or diaphragms while on Solodyn (Minocycline).
- Can stain your teeth, mouth, and gums if you're using the tablets, or your skin if you're using the topical version, but this is temporary.
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Vaginal cream
- Vaginal suppository
- Extended release
- Extended release capsule
Have you used Cleocin T (Clindamycin Phosphate)?Leave a review
- Liver damage
- History of liver disease
- Changes in teeth
- Age 8 years or younger
- Decreased effectiveness of birth control pills
- Using oral birth control pills
- Diarrhea from a superinfection (an infection that happens after, or in addition to, an earlier infection)
- Long antibiotic treatment period
- Harm to fetus
- Women of childbearing age