Compare Cleocin vs. penicillin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Cleocin T (Clindamycin Phosphate) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. If you're taking the vaginal form, you have to avoid sex and tampons for the period your doctor tells you to. The topical form can cause skin sensitivity and irritation.
Penicillin VK (penicillin) is good at treating strep throat and is cheap, however, it can only be used for certain infections as many bacteria have developed resistance to it.
- Available in generic.
- Topical form treats acne.
- Available in different oral forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Available in forms to treat skin infections and vaginal infections.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- Compared to alternatives, Penicillin VK (penicillin) is the preferred choice for treating strep throat infections.
- This medicine is available as a generic, which is cheap.
- It’s also available in different forms: pill and liquid.
- Have to take the oral forms with a full glass of liquid or with food since it can cause irritation in your stomach and esophagus.
- If you're taking the vaginal form, you have to avoid sex and not use tampons for the period your doctor tells you to.
- If you're allergic to aspirin, your doctor may have to prescribe an alternate.
- If you have to take live vaccines, talk to your doctor when to take them since Clindamycin can make it less effective.
- If you're taking the topical form, it can cause sensitivity and irritation.
- Many bacteria are resistant to Penicillin VK (penicillin), so it only works for certain infection typically in ear, nose, and throat.
- Penicillin VK (penicillin) has a bitter taste. Children might not like the taste.
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Vaginal cream
- Vaginal suppository
Have you used Cleocin T (Clindamycin Phosphate)?Leave a review
- Liver damage
- History of liver disease
- Taking Penicillin VK (penicillin) for a long time
- Interaction with birth control pills
- Allergic reaction
- History of severe allergic reaction to Penicillin VK (penicillin)
- Cephalosporin medication allergy