Compare Concerta vs. Intuniv
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps you focus and stay alert.
Concerta (methylphenidate extended-release) is a first-choice treatment for ADHD that works throughout the day, but can affect growth in children and teens.
Helps you focus your thoughts.
Intuniv (guanfacine ER) is an option for ADHD patients who cannot take stimulants.
- First-choice medication to treat ADHD. Some other forms of Concerta (methylphenidate extended-release) can also treat narcolepsy.
- The onset of effects will occur within an hour. The full effects can last 8 to 12 hours.
- Taken only once a day compared to the immediate-release form.
- Available in many different forms: extended-release and immediate-release tablets, chewable tablet, liquid, and skin patches.
- The capsule may be sprinkled on applesauce if you have a difficult time swallowing pills.
- Not a stimulant and is an option for people who cannot take stimulants.
- Can be used either alone or with other stimulant medications.
- Available in generic.
- Avoid alcohol since it can cause worsen side effects.
- Concerta (methylphenidate extended-release) is a controlled medication that can be habit-forming and lead to physical dependence.
- Cannot stop taking this drug all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of mood changes.
- Intuniv (guanfacine ER) can cause changes in your blood pressure so it will be important to watch your blood pressure regularly.
- May cause drowsiness, dizziness, and headaches especially at higher doses.
- It can make you feel more irritable or anxious. Talk to your doctor if it bothers you.
- Not recommended for people over 65 years old.
- It may cause drowsiness, especially when you first start taking Intuniv (guanfacine ER) or with dose increases, so do not drive until you know how Intuniv (guanfacine ER) affects you.
- Chewable tablet
- Dissolving tablet
- Extended release
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
30possible side effects
- Lowered appetite25%
- Dry mouth14%
- Loss of sleep12%
- Weight loss7%
- Fast heart rate5%
- Excessive sweating5%
- Initial insomnia4%
- Depressed mood4%
- Blurred vision2%
- Upper respiratory tract infection2%
- Inability to eat2%
- Muscle tightness2%
- Teeth grinding2%
- Low sex drive2%
- Mouth and throat pain2%
11possible side effects
- Loss of appetite15%
- Stomach pain12%
- Weight gain3%
Risks and risk factors
- Serious or life-threatening heart problems
- History of heart problems
- Abuse and dependence
- History of drug abuse
- Aggressive behavior and psychiatric symptoms
- History of psychotic episodes
- History of bipolar disorder
- History of Tourette's syndrome
- Long-term growth suppression
- History of seizures
- Circulation problems in the hands and feet
- High blood pressure
- Heartrate problems
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
- Stopping Intuniv (guanfacine ER) suddenly.
- Heart problems
- History of heart problem