Compare Doxepin vs. Surmontil
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps you stop itching.
Zonalon (Doxepin) works well treating itchy skin, but could make you sleepy.
Improves your mood.
Surmontil (trimipramine) is good at treating depression, but it can cause more side effects, like sleepiness and weight gain, compared to other medicines.
- In clinical trials, Zonalon (Doxepin) was found to be the most effective cream for treating itchy skin.
- You can use Zonalon (Doxepin) for up to 8 days at a time.
- Surmontil (trimipramine) is part of the first choice medicines to treat depression.
- Available in generic and in three different strengths.
- Can be taken once a day, usually before you go to bed.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- You need a prescription for Zonalon (Doxepin).
- It isn't available as a generic, so it could be kind of pricey.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can make you sleepy.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can interact with other medications, vitamins, or alternative treatments.
- You might not notice changes in your mood until you've taken Surmontil (trimipramine) for several weeks.
- Stopping Surmontil (trimipramine) suddenly without telling your doctor can be dangerous.
- Surmontil (trimipramine) can cause more side effects than other medicines used to treat depression.
- Skin intching (moderate)
- Cream, gel, or ointment
$672.67Find instant savings near you
No pricing information available
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
The Zonalon (Doxepin) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
The Surmontil (trimipramine) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Higher risk of suicide
- People under age 24
- Possible bipolar disorder
- Serotonin syndrome
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- ADHD medicines
- SSRI antidepressants
- Heart problems
- History of heart disease
- Drowsiness or sleepiness
- Withdrawal symptoms