Compare Duricef vs. Bactrim
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats bacterial infections.
Duricef (cefadroxil) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. However, if you're taking blood thinners, you could be more likely to bleed.
Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. However, you can be more likely to sunburn.
3.6/ 5 average rating with 473 reviewsforBactrim
- Duricef (cefadroxil) is available as a generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- Generally few side effects compared with other antibiotics.
- Widely available as a generic product and in a variety of formulations (tablet, capsule, suspension).
- Works well to treat many types of bacterial infections
- If you're taking blood thinners, let your doctor know. Duricef (cefadroxil) can interact with your medicines and make you more likely to bleed.
- May not be a good option if you have colitis or other digestive tract problems. Ask your doctor.
- Duricef (cefadroxil) can also affect certain lab tests, let all your healthcare providers know that you're on Duricef (cefadroxil).
- Makes you sensitive to the sun.
- Can upset your stomach
- Drink plenty of water or fluids to avoid harming your kidneys
- May cause birth defects
- Skin infection and/or subcutaneous tissue
- Streptococcal pharyngitis
- Streptococcal tonsillitis
- Urinary tract infectious disease
- Urinary tract infection
- Traveler's diarrhea
- Inner ear infection
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pneumonia in HIV
- Pneumonia prevention in HIV
- Uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
- Prevention of urinary tract infections
- Treatment and prevention of opportunistic infections in HIV/AIDs patients
- Treatment and prevention of opportunistic infections in transplant patients
$9.05Find instant savings near you
$8.10Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
Not enough review data.Leave a review
473 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim)?Leave a review
The Duricef (cefadroxil) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
The Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Penicillin allergy
- History of penicillin allergy
- New infection
- Taking Duricef (cefadroxil) for a long time
- Kidney problems
- Kidney problems
- Kidney disease
- Harm to fetus
- Lower kidney function
- Taking other medicines that lower kidney function