Compare Fortesta vs. Testim
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Fortesta (testosterone) is a convenient topical form of testosterone hormone replacement, but it can be spread to another person if skin-to-skin contact occurs.
This testosterone gel comes in convenient daily doses, but you have to be careful about skin-to-skin contact with other people.
- Fortesta (testosterone) is an effective and convenient form of testosterone.
- It is easily used. You apply it to your thighs like a lotion.
- Putting Fortesta (testosterone) on your thighs makes it less likely that you'll transfer the medication to other people around you.
- Fortesta (testosterone) is available as a cheaper generic form.
- You apply it to your shoulders and upper arms like a lotion, so it's easy to use.
- Available in individual daily doses, so it's more convenient than some alternatives.
- You have to wait at least 2 hours after applying Fortesta (testosterone) before you can swim or bathe, otherwise your body won't absorb the full amount of the medication.
- Fortesta (testosterone) does not need to be dose adjusted if you have liver or kidney problems.
- Not available in generic form, so it can be more expensive.
- You have to let the skin dry after you've put on testosterone gel, and you have to wear clothes over the area to prevent the medication from spreading onto other people.
- You have to wait at least 2 hours after applying testosterone gel before you can swim or bathe, otherwise your body won't absorb the full amount of the medication.
- Low testosterone
- Male osteoporosis
- Weight gain
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Skin reaction16%
- Virilization from secondary exposure
- Blood clots
- Swelling in the legs
- Heart disease
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Elevated red blood cell count
- High calcium in the blood
- History of cancer
- Exposure to fire or flames