Compare Imuran vs. Afinitor
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Prevents organ rejection and relieves joint pain and inflammation.
Imuran (Azathioprine) is an effective medication for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and transplant rejection, but comes with a heavy list of side effects.
Treats different types of cancer.
Treats different types of cancer, but can cause uncomfortable side effects.
- Imuran (Azathioprine) has proven to be effective in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Imuran (Azathioprine) decreases the pain, stiffness, and swelling that most people have with rheumatoid arthritis.
- You can still get vaccinated for the flu while taking Imuran (Azathioprine).
- Drinking alcohol is okay while taking Imuran (Azathioprine).
- Most side effects are temporary.
- Afinitor (everolimus) comes as a pill rather than an injection, unlike some other cancer drugs.
- If you take Imuran (Azathioprine) for rheumatoid arthritis, you'll likely need to take additional medications to control your symptoms.
- While taking Imuran (Azathioprine), you will have to get your blood tested once a week for the first month, every other week for the second and third month, and once every month after that.
- Along with other side effects, your hair may begin to change color or fall out when you first start taking Imuran (Azathioprine), but this is usually temporary.
- You'll likely have to take additional medications, like methotrexate to keep your rheumatoid arthritis in remission.
- Afinitor (everolimus) has many uncomfortable and potentially intolerable side effects.
- You may be more prone to infections and take longer to recover from a wound while taking Afinitor (everolimus).
- Some prescription medications, vitamins and supplements can interfere with how Afinitor (everolimus) works.
- Afinitor (everolimus) might not be the best option if you have liver problems.
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
2possible side effects
- Leukopenia <2500 cells/mm316%
34possible side effects
- Mouth sores70%
- Stomach pain36%
- Decreased appetite30%
- Weight loss28%
- Common cold25%
- Nail disorder22%
- Itchy skin21%
- Difficulty breathing20%
- Decreased taste sensitivity19%
- Lung inflammation17%
- Urinary tract infection16%
- Joint pain15%
- Back pain15%
- Pain in extremity14%
- Difficulty sleeping14%
- Dry skin13%
- High blood pressure13%
- Dry mouth11%
- Throat pain11%
- Muscle spasms10%
Risks and risk factors
- Decreased blood cells
- Increased risk for infection
- Harm to fetus
- Sexually active men and women
- Pregnant women
- Child-bearing women
- Kidney disease
- Lung problems
- Reaction to live vaccines
- Swelling of the airways or tongue
- Taking ACE inhibitor
- Mouth ulcers