Compare Imuran vs. Cromolyn
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Imuran (Azathioprine) is an effective medication for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and transplant rejection, but comes with a heavy list of side effects.
Intal (Cromolyn) is a good option to relieve nasal allergy symptoms when antihistamines aren't working. Good choice for pregnant women.
- Imuran (Azathioprine) has proven to be effective in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Imuran (Azathioprine) decreases the pain, stiffness, and swelling that most people have with rheumatoid arthritis.
- You can still get vaccinated for the flu while taking Imuran (Azathioprine).
- Drinking alcohol is okay while taking Imuran (Azathioprine).
- Most side effects are temporary.
- Treats nasal allergy symptoms.
- Most people don't have many side effects since it works in the nose and doesn't affect the rest of your body.
- It's a good option for pregnant women. Can also be used for kids 2 years and older.
- Doesn't make you drowsy or dizzy.
- No prescription is needed.
- If you take Imuran (Azathioprine) for rheumatoid arthritis, you'll likely need to take additional medications to control your symptoms.
- While taking Imuran (Azathioprine), you will have to get your blood tested once a week for the first month, every other week for the second and third month, and once every month after that.
- Along with other side effects, your hair may begin to change color or fall out when you first start taking Imuran (Azathioprine), but this is usually temporary.
- You'll likely have to take additional medications, like methotrexate to keep your rheumatoid arthritis in remission.
- Needs to be used regularly for at least a week to see any good effects.
- Can have an unpleasant smell or taste.
- Can cause headaches, or burning and stinging in your nose.
- Nasal spray
- Leukopenia <2500 cells/mm316%
- Decreased blood cells
- Increased risk for infection
- Harm to fetus
- Sexually active men and women
- Pregnant women
- Child-bearing women