Compare ipratropium vs. Spiriva Respimat
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Relieves runny nose due to the common cold or allergies.
Atrovent (ipratropium) is a good add-on treatment only when oral allergy medicines and steroid nasal sprays have not worked to control your runny nose, but the effects don't last long.
Helps you breathe easier.
Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) works well to reduce breathing problems and open your airways, but it can't help you if you're having sudden wheezing or breathing problems.
- Won't make you drowsy like other allergy medicines.
- Atrovent (ipratropium) is generally well tolerated.
- Available in a cheap, generic form.
- Safe for use in children age 6 and older (depending on dosage).
- Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) is a good choice to help you breathe easier and lessen the need for a fast-acting (rescue) inhaler.
- If you're using Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) for asthma, your asthma can get better if you use Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) consistently every day.
- Reduces flare-ups and hospitalizations with fewer side effects compared to some other medicines that open airways.
- Used once daily.
- Compared to Spiriva, Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) allows more medicine to enter your lungs and doesn't require as much force to inhale.
- Can take 1 to 2 weeks before you start feeling better.
- The nasal spray should only be used for maximum of 4 days if you have a cold or 3 weeks if you have allergies.
- Effect doesn't last long so you will need to use it multiple times in a day.
- Doesn't work directly to target your allergies.
- Won't work well if you also have a stuffy nose and/or are sneezing.
- Using Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) only slows the progression of your condition, Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) won't cure you.
- You'll need to use this medicine consistently every day to gain the most benefit.
- Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) can worsen your symptoms of an enlarged prostate or urinary blockage.
- Spiriva Respimat (tiotropium) can worsen a certain type of glaucoma.
- Nasal spray
$20.61Find instant savings near you
No pricing information available
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
8possible side effects
- Upper lung infection10%
- Bloody nose9%
- Sore throat8%
- Dry nose5%
- Stuffy nose3%
- Inflammation and irritation of the nose2%
4possible side effects
- Sore throat16%
- Sinus infection3%
Risks and risk factors
- Eye problems
- Allergic reaction
- Not for breathing emergenices
- Sudden difficulty breathing
- Worsening glaucoma
- History of narrow-angle glaucoma
- Difficulty urinating
- History of urinary bladder blockage (urinary obstruction)
- History of enlarged prostate
- Kidney problems
- History of moderate to severe kidney disease