Compare Magnesium Citrate vs. Dok-plus
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Citrate Of Magnesia (Magnesium Citrate) works well if you need to really get things moving, but it's not a good medicine to manage chronic constipation.
Dok-plus (docusate and senna) is a good choice to help relieve constipation, but should only be used occasionally.
- Really strong laxative that gets things moving fast.
- Can also be used to prep your bowel before you go for surgery or colonoscopy. Your doctor will give you specific instructions if you use it this way.
- This medicine is commonly used to help relieve occasional constipation.
- Generally tolerable with few side effects.
- There are many different formulations available over the counter, including generic.
- Can take this medicine once a day.
- It doesn't work for everyone and some people feel it's a hassle.
- Some brands are of Magnesium Citrate are tinted red and can change the color of your stool.
- Can cause dizziness, weakness, diarrhea, and the feeling that you "have to go right now".
- Magnesium Citrate contains magnesium which prevents certain medicines from working properly. Make sure you take your dose of Magnesium Citrate at least 2 hours before or after other medicines.
- You can't take it for more than a week or so.
- Doesn't offer immediate relief and is not meant for regular use.
- Need to remember to separate your other medicines with Dok-plus (docusate and senna).
- Bowel blockage
- Age 60 or older
- Other condition that causes blockage or narrowing of bowel
- Taking medications that cause constipation
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Taking with medications that cause electrolyte imbalance
- Age 60 or older
- Risk to fetus
- Women of childbearing age
- Worsening of neuromuscular conditions
- Taking Citrate Of Magnesia (Magnesium Citrate) if you have kidney disease and neuromuscular disease
- Taking Citrate Of Magnesia (Magnesium Citrate) if you have neuromuscular disease
- High magnesium levels
- Kidney disease
- Taking other magnesium-containing medicines or supplements
- Stomach problems
- Using mineral oil at the same time
- Length of use
- Use in children