Compare Metrogel vs. Soolantra
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats vaginal infections and acne rosacea.
Metrogel (metronidazole) is effective for bacterial infections or skin conditions, but you may need to avoid alcohol while using this.
Soolantra (ivermectin) is effective for rosacea, but it can be expensive.
- Works well for acne rosacea and most types of vaginal infections. It has fewer side-effects than oral tablets.
- It is available as a generic product.
- Soolantra (ivermectin) only needs to be used once a day at bedtime.
- Most people who use this medication don't have side effects.
- In studies, Soolantra (ivermectin) has worked better at treating rosacea than other available medications.
- You can put makeup on after you use Soolantra (ivermectin).
- May cause skin irritation.
- Drinking alcohol while taking Metrogel (metronidazole) can cause intense flushing of skin and nausea. It is less likely with the gel and cream formulations than oral tablets, but be aware.
- Soolantra (ivermectin) can sometimes cause dry and itchy skin and a burning skin sensation.
- This medication is not available as a generic and is more expensive than some of the other rosacea medications.
- To get full results of treatment, this medication usually needs to be used for several months.
- Cream, Gel, or Ointment
- Vaginal Cream, Gel, or Ointment
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
10possible side effects
- Vaginal discharge12%
- Yeast infection10%
- Genital irritation9%
- Gastrointestinal discomfort7%
- Pelvic discomfort3%
- Unusual taste2%
- Change in white blood cells2%
The Soolantra (ivermectin) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Nerve damage
- Existing nerve problems
- Contact dermatitis
- Eye irritation