Compare Minoxidil vs. Nitrostat
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Lowers blood pressure.
Loniten (Minoxidil) should only be used to treat blood pressure when other medications can’t.
Relieves chest pain.
Nitroglycerin is the fastest-working medicine to relieve chest pain, but make sure to sit down before taking it.
3.5/ 5 average rating with 63 reviewsforNitrostat
- In a clinical trial, 75% of people using Loniten (Minoxidil) were able to greatly decrease their blood pressure.
- Decreases your chance of stroke, heart attack, and kidney problems.
- Loniten (Minoxidil) comes in a generic form, so it’s pretty cheap.
- Could be safe to use if you're pregnant.
- First-choice treatment for quick relief of heart-related chest pain (angina).
- Can also be used to prevent chest pain from happening.
- Available in various forms that take effect at different speeds and stay in your system for different lengths of time. Sublingual form works the fastest (1-3 minutes) but lasts the shortest in your body (25 minutes), while the patch form takes the longest to start working (30 minutes) but lasts the longest (10-12 hours). Your doctor can help you find the one that's best for you.
- You'll need to take a diuretic or “water pill” to get rid of the salt and water your body hangs onto when taking Loniten (Minoxidil).
- You'll also need to take a heart medication like a beta-blocker to slow your heart from beating too fast.
- In some people, Loniten (Minoxidil) can cause chest pain, heart attack, or heart failure.
- It can take a few weeks after starting Loniten (Minoxidil) before you feel the full benefits.
- You can develop tolerance to this medicine over time, which means that the same dose becomes less effective. You have to stick to a really specific dosing schedule for the extended-release, ointment, and patch forms to prevent this from happening.
- Headaches are normal with this medicine and they go away as your body gets used to it, but they can be severe or not tolerable for some people.
- Dissolving tablet
- Extended release
- Mouth spray
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Rectal gel or ointment
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
Not enough review data.Leave a review
The Loniten (Minoxidil) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
4possible side effects
- Increased Angina2%
Risks and risk factors
- Complicated treatment
- Serious heart problems
- Salt and water retention
- Blood pressure control
- Low blood pressure
- Concurrent use of erectile dysfunction medicine
- Age 65 years or older
- Alcohol use
- Long term use