Compare Mirapex vs. carbidopa / levodopa
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps with movement problems.
Mirapex (pramipexole) is effective for Parkinson's disease or restless legs syndrome, but can cause extreme drowsiness that affects daily living.
Treats Parkinson's disease.
Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is the first choice treatment for Parkinson's disease.
- Mirapex (pramipexole) may be better for older people with Parkinson's since it causes fewer movement and mental changes than its alternatives.
- Mirapex (pramipexole) comes in extended-release form to help reduce side effects and ease administration.
- Available as a generic so it will be cheaper than similar brand medications.
- Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is widely available as a regular pill, a quick dissolving pill or a liquid taken through a feeding tube.
- Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is available in generic.
- Mirapex (pramipexole) can be used by itself, but is usually used in combination with other medications to treat Parkinson's.
- Not the best choice if you have kidney problems.
- You cannot suddenly stop taking Mirapex (pramipexole) if you have been taking it for a long time.
- Can make you very sleepy.
- Can stain your saliva, sweat and urine a dark color.
- Will lose its effect over time as your disease progresses.
- May need to be taken several times during day to control symptoms of Parkinson's disease
- May cause unusual cravings in some people.
- Extended release
- Dissolving tablet
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
36possible side effects
- Postural hypotension53%
- Muscle rigidity47%
- Extrapyramidal syndrome28%
- Accidental injury17%
- Dream abnormalities11%
- Muscle weakness10%
- Muscle problems8%
- Gait abnormalities7%
- Muscle tenseness7%
- Dry mouth7%
- Memory loss6%
- Urinary frequency6%
- General swelling4%
- Urinary tract infection4%
- Shortness of breath4%
- Accomodation abnormalities4%
- Thinking abnormalities3%
- Chest pain3%
- Runny nose3%
- Vision abnormalities3%
- Paranoid reaction2%
- Urinary incontinence2%
- Lung infection2%
- Swelling of joints2%
- Peripheral swelling2%
- Skin disorders2%
The Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Impulse control problems
- Problems with concentration
- Taking with alcohol
- Taking other medicines that make you sleepy
- Sleep disorders
- Low blood pressure
- Taking blood pressure medicines
- Kidney problems
- Kidney problems
- Skin cancer
- Parkinson's disease
- Hallucinations and behavior changes
- Age 65 years or older
- History of psychosis
- Advanced Parkinson's disease
- Falling asleep during the day
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's
- High fever and confusion
- Stopping Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) suddenly
- Changes in behavior
- Lack of impulse control
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's disease
- Changes in blood pressure and falls