Compare Mucinex D vs. Delsym
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Breaks up mucus and relieves congestion.
Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is good if you have a stuffy nose and a cough with mucus, but it could keep you up at night.
3.8/ 5 average rating with 1249 reviewsforMucinex D
Delsym (Dextromethorphan) is a good option for treating dry cough. It's not safe to take with MAO inhibitors though.
3.3/ 5 average rating with 127 reviewsforDelsym
- Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have sinus and chest congestion.
- Helps loosen the mucus in your airways so that you can cough it up more easily.
- Works well to clear nasal congestion and help you breathe better.
- Good for treating dry cough.
- Available in drugstores either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and allergy symptoms.
- Available as a liquid and a tablet.
- Some products relieve cough for up to 12 hours.
- Pseudoephedrine, the decongestant in Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), can make your heart race or make you feel anxious and restless.
- Doesn't work as well if you use it for more than 4 days at a time.
- Although you don't need a prescription to get Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), you need to show a photo ID to buy it in the drugstore.
- Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- Can't take dextromethorphan if you're taking MAO inhibitors (drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease, depression, and other emotional conditions). If taken together, they will cause dangerously high blood pressure levels.
- If you're taking this in combination with other cold and allergy medications, you should read labels closely to make sure you're not accidentally taking too much of a single ingredient.
- Extended release
- Liquid extended release
$13.00Find instant savings near you
$6.07Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
1249 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine)?Leave a review
127 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Delsym (Dextromethorphan)?Leave a review
The Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
The Delsym (Dextromethorphan) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- High blood pressure
- History of high blood pressure
- Heart problems
- History of heart problems
- Age 65 years or older
- Nausea and vomiting
- Serotonin syndrome
- Using other medications that affect serotonin