Compare Mucinex D vs. Delsym
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is good if you have a stuffy nose and a cough with mucus, but it could keep you up at night.
Delsym (Dextromethorphan) is a good option for treating dry cough. It's not safe to take with MAO inhibitors though.
- Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have sinus and chest congestion.
- Helps loosen the mucus in your airways so that you can cough it up more easily.
- Works well to clear nasal congestion and help you breathe better.
- Good for treating dry cough.
- Available in drugstores either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and allergy symptoms.
- Available as a liquid and a tablet.
- Some products relieve cough for up to 12 hours.
- Pseudoephedrine, the decongestant in Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), can make your heart race or make you feel anxious and restless.
- Doesn't work as well if you use it for more than 4 days at a time.
- Although you don't need a prescription to get Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), you need to show a photo ID to buy it in the drugstore.
- Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- Can't take dextromethorphan if you're taking MAO inhibitors (drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease, depression, and other emotional conditions). If taken together, they will cause dangerously high blood pressure levels.
- If you're taking this in combination with other cold and allergy medications, you should read labels closely to make sure you're not accidentally taking too much of a single ingredient.
- Extended release
- Liquid extended release
Have you used Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine)?Leave a review
- High blood pressure
- History of high blood pressure
- Heart problems
- History of heart problems
- Age 65 years or older
- Nausea and vomiting
- Serotonin syndrome
- Using other medications that affect serotonin