Compare Mucinex DM vs. Benadryl
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is okay for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it could prevent you from coughing the mucus up. It comes as an extended-release tablet and a short-acting liquid.
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is great for allergies, but curl up on the couch after taking it and get ready for a nap.
- Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have chest congestion and a cough.
- Helps loosen the mucus and phlegm that builds up in productive and wet coughs.
- The extended release version of Mucinex DM lasts up to 12 hours.
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is often better than other antihistamines at treating allergy symptoms and hives.
- It can provide quick relief of allergy symptoms for both kids and adults.
- It makes you sleepy, so it'll help if your allergies are bothering you at night.
- The effects wear off in 4 to 6 hours, so side effects don't last that long.
- It comes as a tablet, capsule, liquid, and quick dissolving tablet.
- Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough without mucus or phlegm.
- The two medications in this product could potentially work against each other. Guaifenesin makes mucus easier to cough up, while dextromethorphan (the "DM" in Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin)) stops you from coughing.
- Can cause sleepiness, dizziness, and an upset stomach.
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) makes you more tired than Claritin, Allegra, or Zyrtec.
- You shouldn't drive after taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) until you know how it affects you.
- Talk to a pediatrician before giving Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) to a child.
- It can increase the risk of falls, so elderly people shouldn't use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine).
- Don't use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) if you are breastfeeding.
- Extended release
- Oral solution
- Cream, gel, or ointment
Have you used Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin)?Leave a review
- Nausea and vomiting
- Serotonin syndrome
- Using other medications that affect serotonin
- Cough warning
- Using other drugs with the same ingredients
- Increased side effects
- Age 65 years or older
- Driving impairment
- Taking with alcohol
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- Children age 6 years and younger
- Trouble urinating
- Enlarged prostate
- History of bladder problems
- Vision changes
- Nursing mothers