Compare Mucinex vs. Robitussin DM
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is a useful medicine for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, and it lasts longer than other guaifenesin products.
Robitussin Dm (Guaifenesin / Dextromethorphan) is okay for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it could prevent you from coughing the mucus up. You have to take it more often than other guaifenesin products.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) reduces the thickness and amount of mucus in your throat and chest.
- Lasts longer than some other products that contain guaifenesin, such as Robitussin, because it's an extended-release form.
- It’s available at the drugstore either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and flu symptoms.
- Available in liquid and tablet forms.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is alcohol- and sugar-free.
- Robitussin Dm (Guaifenesin / Dextromethorphan) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have chest congestion and a cough.
- Helps loosen the mucus and phlegm that builds up and causes productive, wet coughs.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is more expensive than other medications that treat congestion.
- You need to drink a lot of fluids while taking this medication or it won't work as well.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- Can cause nausea, headache, and an upset stomach.
- Robitussin Dm (Guaifenesin / Dextromethorphan) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough without mucus or phlegm.
- The two medications in this product could potentially work against each other. Guaifenesin makes mucus easier to cough up, while dextromethorphan (the "DM" in Robitussin Dm (Guaifenesin / Dextromethorphan)) stops you from coughing.
- Needs to be taken more often during the day than other products with guaifenesin, like Mucinex.
- Can cause sleepiness, dizziness, and an upset stomach.
- Extended release
Have you used Mucinex (Guaifenesin)?Leave a review
- Nausea and vomiting
- Nausea and vomiting
- Serotonin syndrome
- Using other medications that affect serotonin
- Cough warning