Compare Myfortic vs. Afinitor
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Prevents rejection of a transplanted organ.
Myfortic (mycophenolic acid) is good at preventing organ transplant rejection, but you’ll need regular blood tests.
Treats different types of cancer.
Treats different types of cancer, but can cause uncomfortable side effects.
- Myfortic (mycophenolic acid) is a first-choice medicine for preventing organ rejection since it lowers the risk of rejection and doesn't hurt the kidneys or liver like other medicines in its class.
- By taking Myfortic (mycophenolic acid), your doctor might be able to lower the dose of your other anti-rejection medicines that have more side effects.
- Causes less diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting compared to CellCept.
- Afinitor (everolimus) comes as a pill rather than an injection, unlike some other cancer drugs.
- You'll need regular blood tests, especially in the beginning, to make sure Myfortic (mycophenolic acid) isn't affecting your body in a bad way.
- You might need to take other medicines to control your blood pressure, blood sugar, or cholesterol while on Myfortic (mycophenolic acid).
- Afinitor (everolimus) has many uncomfortable and potentially intolerable side effects.
- You may be more prone to infections and take longer to recover from a wound while taking Afinitor (everolimus).
- Some prescription medications, vitamins and supplements can interfere with how Afinitor (everolimus) works.
- Afinitor (everolimus) might not be the best option if you have liver problems.
- Prevention of kidney transplant rejection
- Extended-release pill
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
25possible side effects
- Urinary tract infection28%
- Trouble sleeping24%
- Upset stomach23%
- Low red blood cells22%
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection20%
- Low white blood cells19%
- High blood pressure18%
- High blood creatinine (marker of poorer kidney function)15%
- Pain in upper part of stomach14%
- High blood uric acid13%
- Low blood potassium13%
- High blood lipids (fats)12%
- Back pain12%
- Low blood calcium11%
- Low blood phosphorus11%
- Joint pain7%
34possible side effects
- Mouth sores70%
- Stomach pain36%
- Decreased appetite30%
- Weight loss28%
- Common cold25%
- Nail disorder22%
- Itchy skin21%
- Difficulty breathing20%
- Decreased taste sensitivity19%
- Lung inflammation17%
- Urinary tract infection16%
- Joint pain15%
- Back pain15%
- Pain in extremity14%
- Difficulty sleeping14%
- Dry skin13%
- High blood pressure13%
- Dry mouth11%
- Throat pain11%
- Muscle spasms10%
Risks and risk factors
- Harm to unborn baby
- Sexually active women of childbearing age
- Serious infections
- Taking other immunosuppressants
- Age 60 or older
- Weak immune system
- Blood disorders
- Taking Myfortic (mycophenolic acid) for a long time
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight
- UV light
- Kidney disease
- Lung problems
- Reaction to live vaccines
- Swelling of the airways or tongue
- Taking ACE inhibitor
- Mouth ulcers