Compare Neupro vs. carbidopa / levodopa
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps with movement disorders due to Parkinson's or restless legs syndrome.
Neupro (rotigotine) is an effective treatment for Parkinson's disease or restless legs syndrome, but can cause troublesome side-effects related to impulse control.
Treats Parkinson's disease.
Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is the first choice treatment for Parkinson's disease.
- Can use regardless of any pre-existing kidney or liver problems.
- Single, daily patch provides all-day control of movement disorders.
- Good alternative for those with difficulty swalloing pills.
- Good option for elderly because of its lower risk for confusion or mental disturbances compared to other medicines like it.
- Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is widely available as a regular pill, a quick dissolving pill or a liquid taken through a feeding tube.
- Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is available in generic.
- Available as brand product only and may be expensive if not covered by your insurance.
- Patch's adhesive may irritate the skin at site of application.
- Heat exposure can affect stability of the patch.
- Neupro (rotigotine) can lead to withdrawal symptoms if the medication is stopped suddenly.
- Can make you very sleepy.
- Can stain your saliva, sweat and urine a dark color.
- Will lose its effect over time as your disease progresses.
- May need to be taken several times during day to control symptoms of Parkinson's disease
- May cause unusual cravings in some people.
- Dissolving tablet
$650.64Find instant savings near you
No pricing information available
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
22possible side effects
- Skin irritation32%
- Increased sweating11%
- Visual disturbances5%
- Abnormal dreams3%
- Abnormal electrocardiogram reading3%
- Difficulty with maintaining balance3%
- Upset stomach3%
- Ringing in the ears3%
- Muscle spasms3%
- Numbness of the hands and feet3%
- Swelling of the hands and feet3%
- White blood cells in urine3%
The Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Sulfite sensitivity
- Driving impairment
- Taking other medicines that make you sleepy
- Sleep disorders
- Hallucinations and unusual changes in thought
- Psychotic disorders
- Low blood pressure
- Taking blood pressure medicines
- Impulse control problems
- Heat exposure
- Falling asleep during the day
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's
- High fever and confusion
- Stopping Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) suddenly
- Changes in behavior
- Lack of impulse control
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's disease
- Changes in blood pressure and falls