Compare Neurontin vs. Zyprexa
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats tingling and burning nerve pain.
Neurontin (gabapentin) is an old seizure disorder medicine that is now used to treat nerve-related pain caused by different conditions.
3.4/ 5 average rating with 620 reviewsforNeurontin
Helps control your thoughts and mood.
Zyprexa (olanzapine) is good for treating psychosis, mania, and agitation, but it's more likely to cause weight gain and sleepiness than other antipsychotics.
3.7/ 5 average rating with 68 reviewsforZyprexa
- Originally used to treat epilepsy (partial seizures), but now it primarily treats neuropathic pain that's caused by nerve stimulation or damage.
- Studies show it's most effective for nerve pain from diabetes, shingles, and fibromyalgia (a painful muscle condition).
- It's available as a generic, so it's less expensive than similar medications.
- Effective at relieving psychotic symptoms, manic episodes, and agitation in people with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Less likely to cause heart problems than other antipsychotics.
- Less likely to cause movement problems compared to older antipsychotics.
- Neurontin (gabapentin) can cause some side effects, including memory problems, drowsiness, dizziness, or confusion. There is a higher risk for these side effects if you drink alcohol, so it might not be the best medication for heavy drinkers.
- You can't skip or miss doses since suddenly stopping Neurontin (gabapentin) can cause seizures.
- More likely to cause weight gain and increase cholesterol or blood sugar compared to other antipsychotics.
- Might make you more sleepy than some antipsychotics.
- Mild risk of Extrapyramidal Symptoms (EPS): Movement disorders that include stiffness, tremor, restlessness, and slow, repetitive movements you can't control.
- You may need routine blood tests to check how the medicine is affecting your body..
- Oral solution
- Extended release
- Dissolving tablet
$931.04Find instant savings near you
$513.14Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
620 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Neurontin (gabapentin)?Leave a review
68 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Zyprexa (olanzapine)?Leave a review
20possible side effects
- Swelling in the limbs8%
- Abnormal physical weakness6%
- Dry mouth5%
- Accidental injury3%
- Stomach pain3%
- Worse coordination3%
- Thinking abnormal3%
- Decreased vision3%
- Weight gain2%
- Abnormal gait2%
- Lack of coordination2%
9possible side effects
- Weight gain28%
- Increased appetite28%
- Dry Mouth7%
- Abdominal pain6%
- Pain in extremity5%
Risks and risk factors
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Neurologic and psychiatric side effects (children)
- Children ages 3 to 12
- Serious allergic reaction and multiple organ problems
- Driving impairment
- Taking Neurontin (gabapentin) with alcohol
- Taking other medicines that cause dizziness and/or drowsiness
- Withdrawal seizures
- Stopping Neurontin (gabapentin) suddenly
- Increased risk of death
- Elderly patients with dementia
- Blood disorders
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Heart problems
- History of heart problems
- Drug interactions
- Shaking and restlessness
- Higher blood sugar, high cholesterol, and weight gain
- People with diabetes
- People with high cholesterol