Compare Noxafil vs. Ambisome
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats and prevents fungal infections.
Noxafil (posaconazole) works against many different fungal infections, but may require close follow-up for potential side effects and drug interactions.
Treats fungal infections.
Effective treatment for severe and otherwise, deadly fungal infections.
- Noxafil (posaconazole) works against more types of fungal infections than other medications like it.
- Available in liquid form if you have difficulty swallowing pills.
- This is a potentially life-saving medication for serious fungal infections.
- May cause less side effects and harm to your kidneys compared to the conventional formulation of the drug and Abelcet.
- Your doctor may be able to give you medicines to prevent or manage any reactions you may have to Ambisome (amphotericin B liposome).
- Available as brand version only so may be more expensive than other medications like it.
- Noxafil (posaconazole) has many drug interactions.
- The pill and liquid forms are not readily interchangeable without your doctor's help.
- Can only be given as an injection that runs over 1 to 2 hours.
- Can only be given in a hospital or by trained home health care professional.
- The entire treatment can range from 1 to 12 weeks, depending on the severity of your infection.
- Has a lot of side effects like fever, chills, nausea, vomitting, and diarrhea. Your doctor may order regular blood tests to monitor your labs.
- Your body may have an allergic reaction to the drug or the way it is administered.
- Prevention of fungal infection.
- Treatment of fungal infection in the mouth or throat
- Extended release pill
$6248.00Find instant savings near you
No pricing information available
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
16possible side effects
- Abdominal pain5%
- Low white blood cells4%
- Herpes simplex3%
- Lung infection3%
- Low red blood cells2%
- Increased sweating2%
44possible side effects
- Low potassium43%
- HIgh glucose23%
- Shortness of breath23%
- Liver labs (alkaline phosphatase) increased22%
- Abnormal kidney function tests (creatinine)22%
- Abnormal kidney function tests (blood urea nitrogen)21%
- Abdominal pain20%
- Low magnesium20%
- Blood product transfusion reaction18%
- Abnormal liver function (bilirubinemia)18%
- Low calcium18%
- Cough increased18%
- Lung disorder18%
- Abnormal liver enzymes (ALT)15%
- Swelling of the hands and feet15%
- Sudden nose bleeds15%
- Life-threatening infection14%
- Low blood pressure14%
- Fluid retention14%
- Blood in urine14%
- Fast heart rate13%
- Fluid in the lungs13%
- Back pain12%
- Chest pain12%
- Low fluid volume12%
- Runny nose11%
- Bleeding in the stomach9%
- High blood pressure8%
- Low oxygen in the lungs8%
- High sodium4%
Risks and risk factors
- Abnormal heartbeat
- QT prolongation
- Drugs that cause prolonged QT interval
- Abnormal electrolytes
- Liver problems
- Blood disorder
- Liver disease
- Kidney problems
- Kidney problems
- Kidney disease
- Drug toxicity
- Severe allergic reaction
- Injection related side effects
- Kidney injury
- Preexisting kidney disease
- Low magnesium and potassium
- Preexisting low magnesium or potassium
- Changes in blood pressure