Compare penicillin vs. Augmentin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Penicillin VK (penicillin) is good at treating strep throat and is cheap, however, it can only be used for certain infections as many bacteria have developed resistance to it.
Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) is first-choice antibiotic for most common types of infections. However, it may not work against more serious or uncommon types of infections.
- Compared to alternatives, Penicillin VK (penicillin) is the preferred choice for treating strep throat infections.
- This medicine is available as a generic, which is cheap.
- It’s also available in different forms: pill and liquid.
- Available as generic product.
- Available in tablet, capsule, and liquid forms.
- Used to treat most common types of bacterial infections.
- Side effects are generally not too bad compared to other antibiotics.
- Many bacteria are resistant to Penicillin VK (penicillin), so it only works for certain infection typically in ear, nose, and throat.
- Penicillin VK (penicillin) has a bitter taste. Children might not like the taste.
- Many bacteria have developed resistance to this antibiotic.
- Can cause diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
- Birth control pills may not work as well to prevent pregnancy when taking this medication.
- Chewable tablet
- Extended release
Have you used Penicillin VK (penicillin)?Leave a review
- Skin rash and hives3%
- Taking Penicillin VK (penicillin) for a long time
- Interaction with birth control pills
- Allergic reaction
- History of severe allergic reaction to Penicillin VK (penicillin)
- Cephalosporin medication allergy
- Serious allergic reaction
- History of penicillin allergy
- History of multiple allergies
- Liver damage
- Existing liver problems
- Taking other medicines that harm the liver
- Taking Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for a long time
- Older age
- Taking immunosuppressant medicines