Compare Propranolol vs. Dilantin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Inderal (Propranolol) is good for treating many heart problems and other problems in the body, but it has more side effects than other beta blockers. You can't miss doses.
Dilantin (phenytoin) is very good at treating and preventing seizures, but it has many drug interactions and some serious side effects.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure, heart attack, heart valve disorders, and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Also treats and prevents many non-heart problems, such as tremors, anxiety, migraines, and liver disease symptoms.
- If you have trouble swallowing pills, Dilantin (phenytoin) is available as a chewable tablet or a liquid.
- Dilantin (phenytoin) is available in a cheaper, generic form.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Has more side effects than some beta blockers because it crosses into the brain and central nervous system.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease. As a second choice, your doctor might add it to medicines you're already taking if your blood pressure is still too high.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Propranolol suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Need to get regular blood tests while taking Dilantin (phenytoin) to make sure the medicine level is safe and effective in your body.
- Can cause changes in your appearance, such as unwanted hair growth and enlargement of your gums.
- If you have kidney problems, you’ll need regular blood tests to check your kidney function and to make sure Dilantin (phenytoin) levels in your blood don’t get too high.
- Dilantin (phenytoin) can make other medications not work as well, including birth control.
- Extended release
- Extended release
- Chewable tablet
Have you used Inderal (Propranolol)?Leave a review
- Increased chest pain or risk of heart attack
- Suddenly stopping Inderal (Propranolol)
- Heart failure
- Increased risks during surgery
- Major surgery requiring anesthesia
- Masked symptoms of low blood sugar
- Masked symptoms of overactive thyroid
- Low blood pressure
- Concurrent use of non-dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, digoxin or clonidine
- Serious skin reactions
- Severe skin reactions
- Asian ancestry
- Serious liver damage
- First 2 months of taking Dilantin (phenytoin)
- Changes in blood cell counts
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
- History of depression
- Withdrawal seizures
- Stopping Dilantin (phenytoin) suddenly