Compare Propranolol vs. Losartan
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Inderal (Propranolol) is good for treating many heart problems and other problems in the body, but it has more side effects than other beta blockers. You can't miss doses.
Cozaar (Losartan) is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function like an ACE inhibitor, but with fewer side effects.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure, heart attack, heart valve disorders, and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Also treats and prevents many non-heart problems, such as tremors, anxiety, migraines, and liver disease symptoms.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Similar to ACE inhibitors (like Lisinopril), with fewer side effects like cough and swelling.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Has more side effects than some beta blockers because it crosses into the brain and central nervous system.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease. As a second choice, your doctor might add it to medicines you're already taking if your blood pressure is still too high.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Propranolol suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Extended release
Have you used Inderal (Propranolol)?Leave a review
- Upper respiratory infection8%
- Back pain2%
- Nasal congestion2%
- Increased chest pain or risk of heart attack
- Suddenly stopping Inderal (Propranolol)
- Heart failure
- Increased risks during surgery
- Major surgery requiring anesthesia
- Masked symptoms of low blood sugar
- Masked symptoms of overactive thyroid
- Low blood pressure
- Concurrent use of non-dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, digoxin or clonidine
- Serious skin reactions
- Harm to fetus
- Women of childbearing age
- Liver damage
- Concurrent liver disease
- Heart problems due to high potassium
- Current kidney problems
- Medicine that increase potassium
- Use of salt substitute