Compare Requip vs. carbidopa / levodopa
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps with movement problems.
Requip (Ropinirole) is an effective medicine for Parkinson's disease or restless leg syndrome, but there are potentially serious side effects.
Treats Parkinson's disease.
Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is the first choice treatment for Parkinson's disease.
- In studies, Requip (Ropinirole) when taken by itself or with other medicines, was effective in lowering movement fluctuations for people with Parkinson's disease.
- Requip (Ropinirole) is sometimes preferred over other medicines that treat Parkinson's disease in older people since it causes fewer movement and mental fluctuations.
- Is effective for treating restless leg syndrome.
- Available in a short-acting and a long-acting form.
- Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is widely available as a regular pill, a quick dissolving pill or a liquid taken through a feeding tube.
- Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) is available in generic.
- Requip (Ropinirole) isn't a first-choice treatment for Parkinson's disease. It can be used by itself, but it's usually used with other medicines.
- Requip (Ropinirole) can cause hallucinations in older people.
- Not the best choice if you have kidney problems. Your doctor may have to adjust your dose based on your kidney function.
- You can't suddenly stop taking Requip (Ropinirole). You'll have to slowly lower your dose, especially if you've been using it for a long time.
- Can make you very sleepy.
- Can stain your saliva, sweat and urine a dark color.
- Will lose its effect over time as your disease progresses.
- May need to be taken several times during day to control symptoms of Parkinson's disease
- May cause unusual cravings in some people.
- Extended release
- Dissolving tablet
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
49possible side effects
- Adverse events24%
- Abdominal pain9%
- Upper respiratory tract infection9%
- Increased sweating7%
- Increased drug level7%
- Abdominal pain/discomfort6%
- Adverse reactions6%
- Urinary tract infection6%
- Orthostatic hypotension5%
- Dry mouth5%
- Edema peripheral4%
- Back pain3%
- Abnormal dreaming3%
- Increased saliva2%
- Weight decrease2%
- Urinary incontinence2%
The Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Impulse control problems
- Driving impairment
- Taking with alcohol
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- Low blood pressure
- Taking blood pressure-lowering medicines
- Worsening kidney function
- Current kidney problems
- Skin cancer
- Parkinson's disease
- Age 65 years or older
- Falling asleep during the day
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's
- High fever and confusion
- Stopping Sinemet (carbidopa / levodopa) suddenly
- Changes in behavior
- Lack of impulse control
- Taking other medicines for Parkinson's disease
- Changes in blood pressure and falls