Compare Restoril vs. Silenor
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps you relax and sleep.
Restoril (Temazepam) is a good short-term option to help you sleep, but it shouldn't replace good sleep habits.
3.9/ 5 average rating with 51 reviewsforRestoril
Helps you relax, and sleep.
Doxepin is a non-addictive way to help people stay asleep, but it comes with a list of side effects.
- Helps you fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Can be helpful to reduce anxiety.
- Shouldn't make you drowsy the next day as long as you're using normal doses of it.
- In a clinical trial Doxepin was able to significantly improve sleep quality.
- Doxepin helps improve your appetite, energy level, and sense of well-being, which increases your interests.
- Once your body gets used to Doxepin, most of the side effects go away.
- Doxepin comes in a generic form, so it is pretty cheap.
- Doxepin is not addictive.
- Can be habit-forming, meaning you'll start to rely on Restoril (Temazepam) to sleep.
- Your body can get used to Restoril (Temazepam) and it may not work as well long-term.
- It's not recommended for people age 65 years or older.
- Can't be used by pregnant women since it'll cause harm to the baby.
- If it's used everyday for more than 2 to 4 weeks and you decide to stop taking Restoril (Temazepam), you'll need to work with your doctor to slowly get off the drug to avoid extra side effects.
- Some people taking Doxepin walk, drive, eat, and have sex while sleeping. Be sure to tell your doctor if this happens to you.
- Doxepin can increase your appetite, leading to weight gain.
- Taking Doxepin can make emptying your bladder difficult.
- Some people have suicidal thoughts when taking Doxepin.
- Doxepin can interact with many different medications, vitamins, and alternative treatments.
- Alcoholism - Anxiety - Depression Anxiety - Depression Anxiety - Depression - Psychoneurotic personality disorder Insomnia Pruritus (Moderate)
- Due to atopic dermatitis or lichen simplex chronicus
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
51 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Restoril (Temazepam)?Leave a review
Not enough review data.Leave a review
The Restoril (Temazepam) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
The Silenor (Doxepin) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Tolerance and dependence
- Taking more than the prescribed dose
- Taking longer than 4 weeks
- History of drug abuse
- Long-term use
- Harm to fetus
- Women of childbearing age
- Driving impairment
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- Memory problems
- Taking with alcohol
- Taking with other drugs that acts in the brain
- Age 65 or older
No information currently available