Compare Robaxin vs. chlorzoxazone
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Relaxes your muscles.
Robaxin (methocarbamol) effectively relieves muscle spasms, but it can cause drowsiness and interfere with your ability to drive.
Relieves muscle pain caused by spasms.
While Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) can be used to treat muscle pain, it can have bad side effects.
- Effective for relieving muscle spasms and pain.
- For those with trouble swallowing, the pills can be crushed and mixed with food or liquid.
- Available in generic form and cheaper than other muscle relaxants.
- Might be a better treatment option for those with a history of drug abuse since Robaxin (methocarbamol) has a low potential for causing addiction and dependence.
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) works just as well as other medicines used for muscle pain caused by spasms.
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) is available in generic.
- Robaxin (methocarbamol) can make you sleepy so you might not be able to drive or do certain activities requiring concentration.
- Need to take a few times throughout the day to maintain effect.
- Might not be safe to use in people age 65 or older due to increased sensitivity to side effects such as drowsiness.
- Researches do not know the safety and effectiveness of Robaxin (methocarbamol) in people under age 16.
- Can be dangerous when used together with other medicines that also cause drowsiness such as narcotics.
- For muscle pain such as back or neck pain, anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen or naproxen are preferred over Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone).
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) is not recommended if you're over 65 because it can make you more sleepy and more likely to break your bones.
- Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) works best with physical therapy and rest.
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
The Robaxin (methocarbamol) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
The Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Taking other medicines that also cause drowsiness
- Drinking alcohol
- People age 65 or older
- Harm to fetus (unborn baby)
- Women who want to or can become pregnant
- Pregnant women
- Liver damage
- Taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) with Parafon Forte DSC (chlorzoxazone)
- Central nervous system depression
- Taking narcotics, tranquilizers or antihistamines
- Skin rashes
- Allergies to muscle relaxants