Compare Silenor vs. Tofranil
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Helps you relax, and sleep.
Doxepin is a non-addictive way to help people stay asleep, but it comes with a list of side effects.
Improves your mood and stops bedwetting in children.
Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is one of the first choice medicines used to treat depression, but it can cause weight gain and sleepiness.
- In a clinical trial Doxepin was able to significantly improve sleep quality.
- Doxepin helps improve your appetite, energy level, and sense of well-being, which increases your interests.
- Once your body gets used to Doxepin, most of the side effects go away.
- Doxepin comes in a generic form, so it is pretty cheap.
- Doxepin is not addictive.
- Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is part of the first choice of medicines used to treat depression.
- Available in generic.
- Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is usually taken only once a day.
- Available in 3 different strengths.
- Some people taking Doxepin walk, drive, eat, and have sex while sleeping. Be sure to tell your doctor if this happens to you.
- Doxepin can increase your appetite, leading to weight gain.
- Taking Doxepin can make emptying your bladder difficult.
- Some people have suicidal thoughts when taking Doxepin.
- Doxepin can interact with many different medications, vitamins, and alternative treatments.
- Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) can lower your sex drive and cause more weight gain than other similar medicines for depression.
- You might be more sensitive to the sun and have a higher risk for heat stroke while taking Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride).
- If you have a history of heart conditions, your symptoms might get worse with Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride). Talk to your doctor to see if Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is right for you.
- Alcoholism - Anxiety - Depression Anxiety - Depression Anxiety - Depression - Psychoneurotic personality disorder Insomnia Pruritus (Moderate)
- Due to atopic dermatitis or lichen simplex chronicus
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
The Silenor (Doxepin) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
The Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
No information currently available
- Higher risk of suicide
- Under age 24
- Possible bipolar disorder
- Heart problems
- History of heart disease
- Overactive thyroid
- Blood pressure changes
- High blood pressure
- Higher risk of seizures
- History of seizures
- Changes in metabolism
- History of diabetes