Compare simvastatin vs. Antara
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Zocor (simvastatin) is a good medication to improve your cholesterol.
3.8/ 5 average rating with 1176 reviewsforsimvastatin
Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides.
Antara (fenofibrate) is effective at lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels, but may cause liver problems and muscle pain.
2.5/ 5 average rating with 56 reviewsforAntara
- Can lower the risk of heart attack, stroke, and death, particularly if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, or a history of smoking.
- Lowers "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides (fats) and raises "good" cholesterol (HDL) in people who have trouble doing this through diet and exercise.
- Available in generic.
- Available in combination pills with other cholesterol medicines.
- Antara (fenofibrate) can reduce triglycerides by about 20-50%.
- Although not as effective at lowering triglycerides, Antara (fenofibrate) can lower "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and raise "good" cholesterol (HDL).
- There is a less expensive generic version available.
- You only need to take it once a day, with or without food.
- You are at higher risk for side effects if you are female, are 65 years or older, drink alcohol every day, or have liver disease, kidney disease, or diabetes.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Can have more drug interactions than some other drugs in the same class (statins).
- Not as effective as statins in lowering cholesterol levels. You shouldn't take Antara (fenofibrate) by itself to lower cholesterol.
- Drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly while taking Antara (fenofibrate) can increase your risk of liver damage.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of gallbladder, liver or kidney disease. Antara (fenofibrate) might not be the best choice to lower your triglyceride levels.
- Antara (fenofibrate) can interact with other medications such as warfarin, colchicine, and sulfonylureas.
- Antara (fenofibrate) was not shown to reduce rates of death in people with type 2 diabetes.
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
1176 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Zocor (simvastatin)?Leave a review
14possible side effects
- Abdominal pain6%
- Atrial fibrillation6%
- Stomach problems5%
- Balance problems5%
- Muscle pain4%
- Infection, urinary tract3%
- Sinus infection2%
11possible side effects
- Abnormal liver function tests8%
- Respiratory disorder6%
- Stomach pain5%
- Back pain3%
- Increased AST3%
- Increased ALT3%
- Increased creatine phosphokinase3%
- Hay fever2%
Risks and risk factors
- Muscle pain and kidney damage
- Kidney disease
- High dose of Zocor (simvastatin)
- Combining Zocor (simvastatin) with other cholesterol-lowering drugs
- Older age
- Female gender
- Liver damage
- Heavy alcohol use
- History of chronic liver disease
- Harm to unborn baby
- Breast feeding
- Drug interactions
- Certain drugs can increase the dose of Zocor (simvastatin) in the body
- High blood sugar
- History of high blood sugar
- Muscle pain
- Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with statins
- Elderly patients
- Patients with diabetes
- Patients with a history of renal failure.
- Liver damage
- History of liver disease
- History of gallstones
- Increased bleeding risk
- Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with anticoagulants
- Inflammation of pancreas
- Changes in blood tests