Compare Tagamet vs. Nexium
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Tagamet (cimetidine) works well for heartburn, but may have more side effects than other medicines like it.
3.4/ 5 average rating with 632 reviewsforTagamet
Treats heartburn and stomach ulcers.
Nexium (esomeprazole) gives you long-lasting heartburn relief but has some risks if used long term.
4.0/ 5 average rating with 1239 reviewsforNexium
- Lasts longer than other medicines like it so you may not need to take it as frequently.
- Affordable as an over-the-counter or generic medicine.
- Most people can take Nexium (esomeprazole) without any noticeable day-to-day side effects.
- Nexium (esomeprazole) lasts longer than other types of antacids (like Zantac, Pepcid, or Tums), and you only need to take it once a day.
- You can take it in combination with a quick-acting antacid (like Maalox or Tums) if you need quicker relief.
- Nexium (esomeprazole) is inexpensive, with over-the-counter and generic options.
- Coupons are available for the brand name - speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
- The packet form is a good option if you have trouble swallowing pills.They can be mixed with water for easier swallowing.
- Does not work as fast as antacids like Maalox, Tums, or Rolaids.
- May not work as well if you have an inflammed esophagus. Your doctor will assess which medicine is best for you.
- May not be the best option if you are elderly or have kidney or liver problems.
- Can interfere with how other medicines work.
- Doesn't start working right away like antacids (Tums, Rolaids, or Maalox).
- It can take several days or weeks to start feeling benefits.
- May not be the best choice for patients 65 years of age and older due to risk of bone fractures and severe diarrhea.
- H. Pylori bacterial infection
- Prevention and treatment of NSAID-induced gastric ulcers
No pricing information available
$17.00Find instant savings near you
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
632 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Tagamet (cimetidine)?Leave a review
The Tagamet (cimetidine) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
The Nexium (esomeprazole) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
- Kidney problems
- Liver problems
- Drug interactions
- Chronic lung problems
- Lung problems
- Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea
- Taking antibiotics
- Englarged breasts in men (gynecomastia)
- Stomach cancer
- Kidney injury
- Severe diarrhea
- Being treated at a hospital
- Bone fractures
- High dose Nexium (esomeprazole)
- Long-term treatment with Nexium (esomeprazole)
- Low bone mineral density
- Aged 65 years or older