Compare Tofranil vs. Zoloft
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Improves your mood and stops bedwetting in children.
Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is one of the first choice medicines used to treat depression, but it can cause weight gain and sleepiness.
Improves mood and helps you relax.
Zoloft (sertraline) is good for treating depression and anxiety, but it can interact with many medicines.
3.5/ 5 average rating with 1472 reviewsforZoloft
- Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is part of the first choice of medicines used to treat depression.
- Available in generic.
- Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is usually taken only once a day.
- Available in 3 different strengths.
- One of the more effective and better tolerated antidepressants in its class.
- Causes less sleepiness than other antidepressants.
- Available as a generic, which is cheaper.
- Best choice among antidepressants if you are pregnant.
- Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) can lower your sex drive and cause more weight gain than other similar medicines for depression.
- You might be more sensitive to the sun and have a higher risk for heat stroke while taking Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride).
- If you have a history of heart conditions, your symptoms might get worse with Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride). Talk to your doctor to see if Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) is right for you.
- Takes at least 1 to 2 weeks to kick in and can take up to 12 weeks for maximum effect.
- Can cause low sex drive, an inability to orgasm or ejaculate, and minor weight gain (1 to 5 pounds).
- Is more likely to cause diarrhea compared to other antidepressants.
- Interacts with lots of other medicines.
- You may need to try out several different antidepressants before you find the one that works for you.
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
Not enough review data.Leave a review
The Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
15possible side effects
- Dry mouth16%
- Difficulty sleeping16%
- More sweating8%
- Ejaculation failure7%
- Upset stomach6%
- Loss of appetite3%
- Stomach pain2%
Risks and risk factors
- Higher risk of suicide
- Under age 24
- Possible bipolar disorder
- Heart problems
- History of heart disease
- Overactive thyroid
- Blood pressure changes
- High blood pressure
- Higher risk of seizures
- History of seizures
- Changes in metabolism
- History of diabetes
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Age 24 years or younger
- Serotonin syndrome
- Taking other medicines that affect serotonin levels
- Personal history of bipolar disorder
- Family history for bipolar disorder
- Stopping Zoloft (sertraline) suddenly
- Increased bleeding
- Taking blood thinners
- Low sodium levels in the blood
- Older people
- Taking diuretic medicines