Compare Vigamox vs. AzaSite
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Treats eye infections.
Vigamox (moxifloxacin) is effective at treating eye infections, but it can be expensive.
Treats pink eye.
AzaSite (azithromycin) effectively treats pink eye and requires you to place less drops into your eye compared to similar medications, but it can be expensive.
- Infection may start to feel better and clear up on days 5-6.
- Because it works directly on the eye, you won't get the same side effects (like diarrhea) from taking the pill form.
- Less frequent applications make AzaSite (azithromycin) more convenient to use than similar medicines.
- Since you apply AzaSite (azithromycin) directly to the eye(s), there are minimal systemic side effects.
- May need to use Vigamox (moxifloxacin) multiple times a day, which can be inconvenient.
- Not available as a generic eye drop medication.
- Common side effects include eye irritation, eye pain, dry eyes, and teary eyes.
- AzaSite (azithromycin) is not available as a generic and costs significantly more than similar medicines.
- Directly applying AzaSite (azithromycin) to the eyes can irritate them.
- Eye drops
- Eye drops
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
6possible side effects
- Decreased visual acuity6%
- Dry eyes6%
- Eye irritation6%
- Eye pain6%
- Itchy eyes6%
1possible side effects
- Eye irritation2%
Risks and risk factors
- Avoidance of contact lens wear
- Allergy to ingredients
- Allergies to systemic azithromycin.
- Risk for eye infection
- Not to be used with contact lenses
- For use topically in the eyes only
- New infection
- Prolonged use