Compare Zaditor vs. Zyrtec
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Zaditor (ketotifen) is the first-choice OTC treatment for allergy-related itchy eyes, but it doesn't treat infections and may not help for more serious allergies.
Zyrtec (cetirizine) can help you with some allergy symptoms without making you very drowsy.
- Works within minutes to relieve itchy eyes.
- Available to buy over-the-counter, which makes it cheaper.
- Can use in children age 3 or older.
- Unlike pills which can affect your whole body, Zaditor (ketotifen) only affects your eyes, which means it has less side effects than anti-allergy pills.
- Zyrtec (cetirizine) works to treat sneezing and runny nose, and causes less sedation compared to Benadryl.
- Works well to also treat hives and itchy skin.
- Zyrtec (cetirizine) is available over the counter without a prescription. It comes as a tablet, liquid, and quick-dissolving tablet.
- It can provide relief of allergy symptoms for both kids and adults.
- Zyrtec (cetirizine) has few drug interactions with other medicines.
- Most people don't get any side effects from Zyrtec (cetirizine).
- Can only use Zaditor (ketotifen) for a short period of time.
- Administering the medication into the eye safely may be more difficult for some people than taking anti-allergy pills.
- Although it works fast, Zyrtec (cetirizine)'s effectiveness wears off for some people over time.
- Zyrtec (cetirizine) can make you a little more sleepy compared to Allegra or Claritin.
- Some people find that other more sedating antihistamines, like Benadryl (diphenhydramine), are more effective for them than Zyrtec (cetirizine).
- Eye drops
- Chewable tablet
- Dissolving tablet
- Allergy to ingredients
- Risk for eye infection
- Not to be used with contact lenses
- Those who wear soft contact lenses
- Increased side effects in the elderly
- Age 65 or older
- Impaired alertness
- Taking with alcohol
- Taking other medicines that make you less alert
- History of liver or kidney conditions
- History of liver or kidney disease